Slovakia Genealogy Research Strategies
Carpathian Wooden Church Bibliography and Links
The following are books that you can most likely get your hands on today from a bookseller or library. There were other books that were written in the early 20th century, mostly in the hands of a few libraries.
1. Parvensky, Michele, "Wooden Churches of the Rusyns"
2. Bozova, John, "Wooden Churches in the Vicinity of Bardejov" Bardejov. 1997.
3. Buxton, David, THE WOODEN CHURCHES OF EASTERN EUROPE: An Introductory Survey, by. Cambridge, England: Cambridge University Press, 1981
vii, 405 p. illus., plans, maps. $85.00 U.S., 47.50 U.K. Cambridge U.P., Pitt Building, Trumpingtn St., Cambridge CB2 1RP; in USA: 32 East 57th St., New York, N.Y. 10022.
4. Coleman, Arthur P., "The Wooden Churches of Ruthenia. Art and Archaeology" 1933.
5. Iwanusiw, Oleh, Church in Ruins, Hong Kong, 1987.
Text in Ukrainian and English. Recent (1980's) color photographs, descriptive paragraph, location map, 350 pages hardbound. Describes the condition and history of churches found in Poland, under the prior jurisdiction of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Peremyshl.
To purchase, contact distributor: iarelative
6. Muzyk, Zbigniew, "Cerkwie" Volumes 1-4. Novy Sacz. 2001
Describes several churches found in Southeast Poland. Text in Polish.
To purchase, contact Distributor: Nova Bookstore (Ksiegarnia Nova, Mississauga, Canada L4X 2S3 or WYDAWNICTWO FUNDACJA
7. Sirochman, Mikhail, "Churches of Ukraine Zakarpattia" L'viv, 2000.
8. Sopoliga, Miroslav, Perly l'udovej architektury, (Pearls of Folk Architecture), Presov, 1996.
"Perly ludovej architektury - Perlyny narodnoyee arkhitektury" by Miroslav Sopoliha. Preshov, 1996. Book carries text concurrently in Slovak and Ukrainian.
See also: Ivan Marko "DREVENE CERKVI" (no longer on the web mojweb.sk, 7/06)
9. Zapletal, Florian, "Wooden Churches in the Carpathians" Vienna. 1982.
10. Dragan, Mykhailo, Ukrainian Wooden Churches, 1937
Ukrainian National Museum Lvov
11. J. Hollis (and students), Brandon (MO) High School – Wooden Churches (no longer online)
12. "Drevene Kostoly, Vychodneho Ritu Na Slovensku", "Wooden Churches, Northeast Region of Slovakia", Folk Museum of Ukrainian Culture at Svidnik, 1971.
A very comprehensive book showing all the wooden churches in Northeast Slovakia. Primarily an architectural description, includes important historical photographs from 1940-1971. Includes scale drawings of building footprint, elevation and architectural details. Not all churches have photos or drawings, but most do. Text in Ukrainian. Overview to the book (several paragraphs) in English, German and Slovak. Out of print. Part of a multi-volume set. Hardbound.
13. Brykowski, Ryszard "Wooden Orthodox Church Architecture of the Lemko People in Poland, Slovakia and Carpathian Rus'"
14. Slobodian, Vasyl' CHURCHES OF UKRAINE ,PEREMYSHL' EPARCHY